If you’ve decided to come do a surf and yoga camp with Bodhi Surf + Yoga, or if you’re still just looking into it, you probably want to get an idea of what to expect. One of the big questions that you may be wondering as you plan your tropical vacation is — what should I pack?
So here is the official Bodhi Surf + Yoga packing list, which I will break into two parts: mandatory and suggested. Keep in mind that both Bahia Ballena and the adjacent/connected town of Uvita are quite small, so it would be difficult to find some of the items on these list. Therefore, we can’t stress it enough: come prepared with items that you are comfortable wearing or using, already broken in!
- Bathing suits. Guys: at least two pairs of comfortable board shorts — some stretch is good. Girls: there’s so much more to be said about acquiring a good surf bathing suit, luckily I’ve already written an entire blog post on this subject.
- Comfortable yoga clothes. Breathable fabrics are highly recommended as sweating is unavoidable!
- Hat. The sun here is much stronger than in other parts of the world, and a wearing a hat diligently while out in the sun will help to prevent sunburns, heatstroke, and dehydration. If you are very concerned about burning, we suggest a waterproof hat with a strap to wear while you surf. Check out our blog post on the subject!
- Sunglasses. The sun and saltwater can do a number on the eyes, so bring your sunglasses! If your eyes are sensitive, polarized sunglasses are recommended for optimal protection. If you’re worried about losing or damaging your sunglasses, it may be a good idea to bring a cheap pair for the beach and other activities.
- Sandals. Flip flops are the Bodhi favorite for going to the beach. Sturdy ones with a hard sole and straps that are sewn in are your best bet.
- Shirts. Bring a variety of t-shirts and tank tops. Cotton or other natural fabrics are preferable. If you are coming between of June-November, you may want to bring a light sweatshirt or jacket as well, as it can cool off at night.
- Shorts. Bring several pairs. Again, if you’re coming between June-November, you may also want to bring light pants.
- Waterproof sunscreen. While it is available to purchase down here, it is quite a bit more expensive and there is significantly less selection. We recommend mineral sunscreen — read more about it!
- Reusable water bottle. The water here is both potable and delicious! We at Bodhi Surf + Yoga care greatly about the environment and thus try to reduce our plastic consumption. We hope you will join us in this effort!
- Some cash. Credit cards are widely accepted and there are several ATMs in town, but it’s always good to have some cash on hand at the beginning of your trip.
- Personal toiletries & medications. Again, most things can be found here but just in case, best to bring your own!
- Running or hiking shoes. There are many worthwhile places to see in the area which involve walking or hiking. Paths can be anywhere from in perfect condition to mildly treacherous, therefore we highly recommend a closed-toe shoe with good grip.
- Day backpack. Great for going to the beach, on hikes, walks, or other tours.
- Camera. It’s a beautiful area. You’ll probably want to brag about your trip when you go home. GoPros with durable casings and waterproof/break-proof cameras are recommended if you want action shots (Costa Rica seems to have a way of destroying cameras).
- A good books or a few magazines. The Bodhi Lodge does not have any televisions on premises, but there are plenty of comfy areas to lounge around and read! We have a small library here, but you may want to use this time to power through your personal reading list.
- Personal rash guard. Bodhi Surf + Yoga does have rash guards, but most people who are surfing more than once like to bring their own to ensure a good fit. Ladies with sensitive skin: knee rashes are quite common. If you’re concerned, get some into rash guard pants or simply bring some tight yoga pants that cover the knees.
- Yoga mat & towel. Already practice yoga with your own gear? We recommend that you bring your own yoga mat and towel as they are an important part of your practice. If you don’t have your own gear or don’t have space to bring it, no a big deal — we provide yoga mats!
- Natural insect repellant. Bugs aren’t a huge issue here, but sometimes it’s nice to have for evenings on the beach.
- Earplugs & eye mask. Only if you have issues sleeping. We are located within the community and there are certain sounds associated with that: birds, dogs, music, weed whackers, etc. Also, keep in mind that it gets light between 5-6am.
- Dressy outfit. There are several nice places to go out for dinner if you feel like treating yourself; there is no dress code here at the beach in Costa Rica but you may feel like getting dressy at least once during your stay! Note: “dressy” here in our beach town is actually pretty casual: sun-dresses for girls, and short-sleeved button up shirts and non-sport shorts for guys.
There you have it! Bodhi’s official Costa Rica surf and yoga camp packing list. Start getting excited for your week in paradise on one of our Bodhi Sessions by watching the below video! And don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!