Whitewater rafting is an incredibly exhilarating activity that ought to be tried at least once. What better a place to do so than Costa Rica, a beautiful tropical land of towering mountains, lush foliage, and rushing rivers. The Savegre River in particular has been named Central America’s cleanest river, and immersing yourself into it is like a dream.
Savegre Whitewater Rafting details & tips
- Tour provider: Dominical Surf Adventures
- Starting time: 8am
- Duration: Approximately 7-8 hours
- What’s included: Snack, lunch, transportation, professional service and equipment, and and lots of fun!
- Price: $100usd
- Departs from: Dominical Surf Adventures office in Dominical; about a 20-minute drive from Bodhi Surf + Yoga (about $25-30 in taxi from Bodhi)
- Recommended to bring: swimsuit, rash guard and shorts that can get wet, good footwear that can get wet (no flip flops), towel, change of clothes, water, sunscreen
- Important notes:
- For children ages 7+ and adults in good health and condition who can swim
- Be sure to give any dietary restrictions to company when you book
- Plan to arrive to main offices a little earlier than 8am
- If you have rented a car, you can spend the afternoon in Dominical and check out some of its sights, stores, and restaurants before heading back to Bodhi
- Address: Across from Escuela Dominical on main street in Dominical
Savegre Whitewater Rafting Highlights
- Having a completely exhilarating experience in Central America’s cleanest river
- Getting out of the heat and saltwater for a day
- Seeing a different, beautiful, and pristine area of Costa Rica
- Learning from excellent, fun, and professional rafting guides and getting to meet some cool new people
Why it is “Bodhi Recommended”
Bodhi Surf + Yoga has been working with Dominical Surf Adventures for many years, and we just think they’re the “bee’s knees”. Not only are they also a family-owned company, but they love to provide memorable and educational experiences for their guests. Their guides are all knowledgeable about all things related to rafting, and also about Costa Rican culture, local flora and fauna, and more. They are excited and adept at sharing that knowledge and information with their guests!
The Savegre River is known as one of Costa Rica’s finest, and this rafting trip is available for people ages 7 and up (no experience required). I had never rafted before and this was a fantastic debut! We met in Dominical at 8am and took an hour-long van ride to the starting point. The instructors prepared us thoroughly with review of safety practices and rafting procedures. Then, we were off!
Our guide led us along a safe and fun route through a gorgeous landscape. After rafting through several exhilarating Class 2 and 3 rapids, we took a quick break to explore a waterfall. We also enjoyed a snack of fresh fruit, chips, guacamole, beans, salsa, and cookies. Then we got back onto the raft for the final stretch of rapids and then, sadly, we got out of the river and back into our van. We took a few minutes to dry off and share high-fives before we headed to a local spot for lunch and then drove back to Dominical.
The Savegre River is a perfect place for your tropical whitewater rafting adventure. The crew from Dominical Surf Adventures are knowledgeable and friendly professionals who made me feel at ease, even as a first-time rafter. There was complimentary photography throughout the trip and we all went home with some exciting action shots. It is definitely a complete day, but somehow feels restful — perfect for the midway point of Bodhi Sessions surf and yoga camp!
Written by Mike Agrippina