Watching the development and unfolding of the Coronavirus pandemic has felt monumental. Unprecedented in its size, scope, and speed of development, it is unlike anything any of us has ever witnessed. Here in Costa Rica, some of us young and healthy folk at Bodhi Surf + Yoga felt as though it wouldn’t touch us while others felt as though it was an overreaction. Perhaps we had the invincibility that one feels when they are so wrapped up in their own life and its goings on, eyes turned away from the increasing and ever more prevalent signs. Until, like everyone else, we realized.
We cannot compare our situation to anyone else’s, and especially not to anyone who is personally or has someone they know being affected by the virus itself. We are fortunate in that we have our health, our lodge, a wonderful community of individuals that surround us (both near and far), our passions, and our drive to push on. We still have so much and we are still so, so grateful to be where we are, and doing what we are doing.
However, this is a challenge for Bodhi Surf + Yoga, and the biggest one in our company’s 10-year history. With people unable to travel anywhere (much less into Costa Rica) until April 12, 2020, and unlikely to do so immediately afterwards (due to the general instability and insecurity being experienced by all of humankind), we are having to make changes to everything, from our staffing, to what we offer. If we can’t host our guests in person, it changes our everyday operations. This industry as a whole will suffer: tourism accounts for approximately 10% of the world’s GDP, and this pandemic will put up to 50 million jobs at risk all around the world.
In times like this, we believe it is imperative to get back to one’s roots. The roots of this company are in being an impact organization. To use what we have to share to educate, inspire, and empower others. We can and want to be of service to others in this moment we are collectively feeling, where fear of the unknown is creeping into the lives of each and every inhabitant of this world. So what can we share in these tenuous times, to continue creating a positive impact in our community and for the world as a whole, even though we physically cannot offer the service we were built to offer? Well, we continue to be either practitioners of (or educators in) health and wellness. That’s one [important] thing of value that we can share with the world, regardless of distance or physical separation.
So we will be shifting gears — adapting, improvising, and overcoming — and focusing our efforts on either the amalgamation or creation of digital content that we, more than anything, hope can be of value and use to people anywhere in the world at this historic moment in time. A time when we are being given the biggest sign of all to slow down, to look inward at the fluctuations of our own minds, to reassess what’s important, to breathe. This is something that, at the very least, our past guests will enjoy (they have been requesting we do for years — sorry it took a global crisis to start getting it done!), and we hope it will spread even further than to those we already know.
On a similar note, sometimes, being a responsible community member means asking for help, or accepting it when it is offered. We are a proud bunch here at Bodhi Surf + Yoga, we believe in owning whatever you create, as well as being able to sustain it. Yet in the last few days, the tides have changed, and the reality of our situation here has settled in. We do and will need help. We are fortunate to have received an outpouring of messages and well wishes. Questions from our network of how they can help us sustain ourselves during this time.
We are speechless, by the innate goodness shown by humans all over the world. And in our specific situation, by all of you. Words cannot express what it means to us to realize we have built a network of such loving and caring people. Now more than ever, we need to lean on each other, and to paddle out with a smile. And just know that we will work to send it back out there, multiplied. We will come back from what is hopefully a small blip on the radar, stronger than ever, and with the renewed goal of working together to create a better, more equitable, and more sustainable world, for all to enjoy.
A few ways you can help support Bodhi Surf + Yoga in this interim period
Note that we will be adding to this list as we have more opportunities and more things to offer available
- Buy a USD$500 gift certificate (deposit) for future travel. We’re not planning on going anywhere, and we will come out of this better than ever. Fine print: you don’t have to pick your date, gift certificates will be valid through March 31, 2022, booking (as always) is based on availability but recommended booking is time is 3 months out.
- Subscribe to some of the great content that we will be working on in the interim period of forced closure, and consider donating if you are able to, and find value in it. See below for some of the what we will be producing for all to benefit from.
- Hire us for online educational speaking engagements, now that much of education has been taken online at the moment anyways. We are experts in surfing, yoga, impact-driven business, social and environmental responsibility, responsible or community-engaged travel, transformational travel, sustainability leadership, B Corp certification, non-profit development, Travelers’ Philanthropy, and more.
- Past guests: while you’re home and social distancing, write that a review you were going to do about your stay at Bodhi Surf + Yoga on TripAdvisor, Google, or Facebook.
- Do yoga in the comfort of your own home with the yoga videos that we have been putting out nearly every day! “Awakening Sessions” yoga with Pilar videos stream on our Facebook and Instagram accounts, but you can also find them (with a delay of a few days for production) on our Youtube channel.
- Take advantage of some of the content we’ve already released, such as our Making Sustainability Sexy with Spencer or Tropical Tidings with Adrianne. There will be more to come shortly: blogs, videos, and more on cooking, surfing + bodysurfing tutorials, just to name a few! We will be organizing it and putting it up in a number of places. For now, you can find our content in the following places, so be sure to Like/Follow/Subscribe/Sign Up to or for the following channels:
- Purchase some of the high quality photos from our reserves, which our talented staff has been adding too for the past several years. Coming soon.
- We are putting a rush on finishing our Bodhi Surf + Yoga Cookbook, which again, has been a consistent guest request for the past several years. All of your favorite recipes from the Bodhi Surf + Yoga kitchen, with crispy and beautiful photos, some fun anecdotes, and all of the dietary restrictions modifications you can think of. Digital copy coming soon.
- Visit us when the time comes that it is both encouraged and you are able to. If you can’t yourself, suggest us to a friend who may want to travel.
We are resolved to work harder than we have ever worked before. We will to continue to make a positive difference in this world; to touch peoples’ lives, to work alongside community members and better this place we call home, to raise awareness, and promote lasting change in the lives of our guests and others in our network. To keep our team — the dream team — together. We will be of service to others, and in particular to those who are disproportionately affected by these types of events. To the planet as a whole. This will not slow us down; in fact, the opposite is true. This, like all adversity, is an opportunity. So we hope you will join us, and use this time to reflect on the changes that we can all make in order to create something better.
Thank you to everyone who is able to help us continue to the work we do. And please, let us know how we can be of service to you in this moment.
Travis, Pilar, and Adrianne
P.S. We’ve been through a lot in our 10 years. We are resolved to work harder than ever to get through and be stronger on the other side.