We cordially invite you to any and all of our bimonthly Service and Surf Saturdays happening from 8-11am every other Saturday at the community entrance to Playa Chaman. There are a host of purposes for these events aside from keeping our local beach beautiful and clean — here are some of the other reasons we get up early (for a Saturday) every other week, and encourage you to do so as well:
- Keeping trash (specifically plastic) out of the ocean
- Setting a positive example for beach-goers, community members, and visitors alike
- Promoting environmental responsibility, especially to the younger attendees
- Highlighting corporate responsibility
- Teaching ocean awareness, safety, and ultimately how to become a surfer
- Bringing people together: community members & visitors
- Having fun and doing something positive at the same time!
We bring the cleanup supplies (buckets, bags, gloves), as well as the surf stuff (boards, rashguards), and drinking water. All you need to bring is your bathing suit, a towel, snacks (if you need them), a positive attitude, and energy to do service and surf!
We meet at the community entrance to Playa Chaman every other Saturday (check our Facebook Page Calendar for dates) at 8am and do roughly 1-1.5 hours of service. After that, we do a surf lesson for those who have never surfed before and help those who have surfed already out in the water. For those who don’t want to surf, there will be frisbees and soccer balls so you can hang out, play, and enjoy the beach.
Everyone is welcome so bring yourself, your family, your friends, your neighbors, whomever! It’s a great place to meet new people, have a fun morning out of doors, and contribute to an important cause while you’re at it!