This year, to celebrate International Surf Day on June 20, 2021, Bodhi Surf + Yoga is holding a fun fundraising event for our local community foundation, the Fundación SOMOS. Surfing is one of our passions and a large component of our livelihood. We feel it’s fitting to utilize this activity to contribute to our community.
In our first annual Surf-A-Thon, we will be raising money for the Stanford + SOMOS English Language and Environmental Leadership program (SELAL). This program benefits youth between 13-18 in our local communities and is greatly in need of funding in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
We invite you to read on and learn a bit more about the SELAL program. More importantly, how you can help sponsor one of the surfers competing (us) to fundraise for a student scholarship!
What is the Surf-A-Thon, and how does it work?
To celebrate International Surf Day, a few of the Bodhi Surf + Yoga team members (Adrianne, Travis, Maya Paz, and Clea James) will surf together for one hour and each try to catch and successfully ride as many waves as possible. Leading up to the event, each sponsor will commit a set amount to donate per wave caught ($5, $10, $20, $50, $100). After the event is complete, the total amount raised will be donated to the local community foundation, Fundación SOMOS, to support the SELAL program.
In one hour, it is likely that Adrianne and Travis will catch around 10 waves, one wave every six minutes. If conditions permit and Maya Paz and Clea James able to paddle all the way out, they are likely to catch around three waves, one wave every twenty minutes. If the waves are too big, they will stay on the inside and catch as many as possible!
So, as an example, committing to sponsoring Maya Paz at a dollar amount of $25 per wave might mean… three waves x $25 per wave = a $75 donation to SOMOS.
The event will be recorded and turned into a fun video so you can feel like you were there watching in person!
- Choose who you want to sponsor: Adrianne, Travis, Maya Paz, or Clea James.
- Choose your per wave dollar amount ($5, $10, $20, $50, $100). This is the amount you’ll pay per wave that is caught and ridden successfully by your surfer during the hour-long event.
- Team membersAdrianne, Travis, and Maya Paz will surf for one hour and try to successfully catch and ride as many green/blue waves as possible. Soon after, we will send you an update email (with a video!) that lets you know how many successful rides each surfer achieved, as well as the total donation amount pledged to Fundación SOMOS.
- You complete the donation to Fundación SOMOS via a direct donation link to the organization.
Why sponsor Bodhi Surf + Yoga’s first annual Surf-A-Thon?
Bodhi Surf + Yoga is built on an ethos of social and environmental responsibility. We have the aspiration that our business can be the tool with which we forge a better world for ourselves, for each other, and for future generations. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic we haven’t been able to execute as many of our community-based programs as we were doing before.
There is a real crisis happening as a result of the pandemic: the Costa Rican public school system has been closed off and on for the better part of two years now, with no alternative provided for students. We decided to hold a fundraising event to help raise some of the very necessary economic resources to sponsor youth to participate in the year-long SELAL program — an alternative and experiential learning program.
The investment for one teenager to participate for a full year is USD$600. Our goal is to raise enough funds for five students, a total of $3000.
More information about the recipient program, SELAL
SELAL’s mission is:
- To enable youth in Osa and Golfito to better access to employment within the local “green” economy.
- To enact place-based environmental awareness and action through principles of biodiversity and conservation, rural eco-tourism and community sustainable development, and connection and interaction with local environmental leaders.
SELAL takes place for two intensive weeks during vacation periods in January and July. Students participate in workshops, field trips, and presentations focused on leadership skills, environment and biodiversity conservation, ecotourism, and English. They also participate in activities during the school year.
Thank you for participating!
For Bodhi Surf + Yoga, surfing is about so much more than the act of riding waves. It’s a lifestyle that encompasses a deeper connection to what is important in this life: nature, community, self. It’s simple yet profound. We are so grateful for all of the tools that it has given us each personally, and are thrilled to be able to use surfing for a variety of higher purposes.
Help us celebrate the 2021 International Surf Day by sponsoring a surfer, sharing the event with your own network, and encouraging a few more people to participate.
Bodhi Surf + Yoga and our community thank you!