It’s that time of year again — the 2015 My Ocean Guardian Journey contest is just around the corner! We’re proud to be holding this contest for the third year in a row, and are eager to see all of your awesome submissions, highlighting your commitment to protecting, preserving, and being spokespeople for the world’s oceans. The fate of our oceans depends on all of us working together to come up with creative solutions to collectively reduce our impact, which is why we at Bodhi Surf hold this annual contest — to celebrate innovative Ocean Guardian actions (and we offer some seriously awesome prizes as extra motivation)!
Categories & judging
This year, the contest will have one category: Best Action for Environmental Stewardship. We want to hear about all of the great ways that you reduce your impact and promote marine conservation to others. We encourage you to be innovative, think outside the box, and keep in mind that no act is too small when it comes to protecting the world’s oceans.
We’re changing it up from the last two years: this year, the contest will be open to public voting. That means you can (and should!) share your entry far and wide, and encourage your network to vote for you. You will want to put your best foot forward as your entry will be seen (and hopefully voted on) by many!
The prizes this year are the following:
- 1st place: A Bodhi Sessions 7-night Surf & Yoga Camp for two people (valued at $2400)
- 2nd place: A $250 discount on a 7-night Surf & Yoga Camp for one person, a Bodhi t-shirt, and the book Blue Mind
- 3rd place: A Bodhi t-shirt and the book Blue Mind
How to enter the 2015 My Ocean Guardian Journey Contest
- Sign Bodhi Surf School’s Ocean Guardian Pledge!
- Perfect your submission: show us your Best Actions for Environmental Stewardship, and how that pertains specifically to marine conservation by submitting all of the following:
• A 500 word essay that describes your action(s), which may include a link to a public album or event page that contains more information
• One pertinent photo (optimal size is 1200x630px)
• One piece of unbiased “proof”: a letter of reference, a link to a website or an event page, etc.
- Submit between October 1 – 31, 2015 on the Bodhi Surf School website or on our Facebook page
- Voting will take place on a public platform: so share with your friends, family, and greater network, and have them vote every day in the month of October
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and our blog, and keep an eye out: as winners will be announced via these channels on November 2, 2015, and will be contacted via email during the week of November 2-6, 2015!
Rules & fine print
- You may only submit one entry.
- First and Second-place winners under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Prizes may be redeemed between January 16th and November 30th, 2016 and are non-transferable.
- Vacation prizes and lodging are subject to availability.
- Any additional travel companions must pay regular Bodhi Surf vacation prices.
In 2013, the Grand Prize was won by Tara Ruttenberg for her work with the University of Georgia-Costa Rica’s in the creation and execution of their Anthropology of Surfing and Coastal Conservation and Development course, whereby she leads a group of students every year to investigate the effects of surfing, coastal tourism, development, and much more through the lens of “sustainability”. Read more…
In 2014, the Grand Prize winner was Chantal Plamondon, the creator/owner of the website Life Without Plastic. This website offers tips and alternatives, raises awareness, and sells products that are all designed to reduce the use of plastic. We are excited to be hosting Chantal and her family when they redeem their free Costa Rican surf and yoga vacation later this year. Read more…